Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Miss Representation and Virtue: For Such a Time as This (Esther 4:14)

After watching the video today in class I'm sure many of us wonder what can be done to stop the sexualization of women. I know that we have been born on this earth "for such a time as this" We can make a difference.  How wonderful it is that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints teaches women who they really are. We are daughters of Deity, God, Our Heavenly Father.  We can be an example to other women who do not know the blessings of living a virtuous life. I learned a poem when I was 12 years old that I like to remember when I feel like the world is so big that I simply cannot make a difference. It is titled "I Am Only One"

I am only one.
But still, I am one
I cannot do everything
But still, I can do something
And because I cannot do everything
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.

The best thing we as women can do to stop the sexualization of women is to first stop watching it.  We are at least half of the population.  Imagine if every woman refused to watch anything on TV that sexualized women.  It's the basic law of supply and demand.  No more demand for it...no more supply. It can happen one conscientious person at a time.


I love this video.  It talks about the power that even one individual has to make a difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment